Spain takes on Poland in their second game of the EURO 2020 Campaign. After a slow start, Spain would like to get back to winning ways against the Polish team. Poland on the other hand will also look to win after suffering a defeat in their first game.
A Brief History of the Rivalry
Spain has always dominated the Polish on the international stage. The brief rivalry started in 1959, where Spain won 4-2. Since then, both teams faced each other a total of 10 times, with Spain winning eight of them.
The last encounter between the two dates back to 9th June 2010. In that match, Spain made a thumping 6-0 victory over the Polish. Spain had six different scorers for the six goals against Poland.
Five Key aspects to watch out for
- Being one of the favourites to win the tournament, Spain will like to get on track with winning the game. The last game against Sweden was a disappointment for the Spanish as they couldn’t convert numerous chances and had to settle for a draw.
- Poland, too, will push hard for that first win in the tournament. However, Paulo Sausa’s men will not find it easy against the mighty Spanish.
- Luis Enrique’s strategy to go for a mixture of youth and experience paid off against Sweden in their opening game, with Spain putting up a stellar performance. Their finishing, however, requires some serious improvements.
- Grzegorz Krychowiak saw a red card in the last game and will miss the upcoming game. This opens up a window of opportunity for the young Jakub Moder. The Brighton midfielder was really impressive last season and will be a key link to the Polish midfield. He could be the first player in Brighton history to start in a Euro finals match.
- Robert Lewandowski will be a player to watch out for in the upcoming fixture. He will be the biggest threat to the Spanish defence and is somebody whom you can’t keep quiet for long and he will be pushing hard for his first goal in this edition of the tournament.
- Pau Torres vs Robert Lewandowski
As said earlier, Robert Lewandowski will be the biggest threat for the Spanish defence and Pau Torres will be the man in charge to mark the Bayern legend. Pau plays as a centre back and in the absence of both Ramos and Pique, he is the man in charge of the Spanish backline. Robert will come all guns blazing towards the young defender. Thus, it will be an interesting encounter within the match and surely one to watch out for.
- Morata vs Wojciech Szczęsny
Although Morata missed close to 8 chances in the last game against Sweden, we all know the quality he possesses in front of the goal. The Polish keeper will have to be on top of his game to deny his fellow Juventus teammate any chance of putting the ball in the back of the net.
With both teams trying hard to get their first win in the tournament, hence the match between the two will be nothing short of pure entertainment. It will be a game of nerves for both camps and each of them will be looking to take the game to the opposition. The coach with a better tactical planning will get away with the three points at the Estadio de La Cartuja.
Follow Football Monk on Instagram and join our community on Telegram.